Recently, hubby and I headed to Fire Island with some friends for a weekend of relaxation and great cooking. One of our friends from the Bronx offered to make chopped cheese. Time got the best of us and we had so much food that he didn’t have a chance to make it, but ever since he mentioned it, I was salivating. When we returned home, I had to make some chopped cheese stuffed peppers!
If you’ve never had a chopped cheese from a local bodega, you don’t know what you’re missing. I can’t eat them anymore since I was diagnosed with celiac, but I enjoyed some chopped cheese sandwiches in my day. Chopped cheese is usually found in uptown NYC bodegas and it’s so simple, but it’s the truth. Chopped meat, melted cheese throughout, and whatever toppings you like such as ketchup and mayo…whatever. So if you don’t know, now you know.
When I was making these peppers, I thought I would need two to curb my hunger, but these bad boys are stuffed to the max, so one was plenty. Oh did I mention I made baked curly fries and ate those with the stuffed pepper? No?…My mistake. You know I’m spiralizing everythang in the house since I received my new Oxo spiralizer. If it’s not nailed down, it’s getting spiralized.
These chopped cheese stuffed peppers are full of so much gooey goodness! I was all in my feelings eating this dish. I tried to be conservative with the cheese, but A.) This is chopped cheese and B.) It didn’t help that every time I asked hubby if I needed more cheese, he said, “Yup, I’ll shred some more.” He’s good like that.
Enjoy the recipe below and tell me how you liked it in the comments!
- 1-2 yellow onions, corsely chopped
- 8oz Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1.5 lb ground beef
- 4 green peppers (any color pepper you have on hand is fine)
- Adobo seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste (go light on the salt since adobo has some salt already)
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Season ground beef with Adobo seasoning, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Let sit while you prepare the onions and peppers.
- Bring a pot of water about 3/4 full to a boil.
- Corsely chop onions.
- Cut tops off of peppers.
- Remove membranes and seeds, set aside.
- Shred cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Set oven to broil on high.
- Add the peppers to the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes, until just softened.
- Remove from water and place on a paper towel to dry.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add ground beef and chop so meat is minced.
- Once meat is browned, add onions.
- Stir until onions are slightly softened, but still a bit crunchy.
- Once meat is fully cooked, add 3/4 of the shredded cheese and "chop" into meat with the spatula until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Scoop meat mixture into ground peppers and fill to the top.
- Add the remaining shredded cheese on top of each pepper.
- Broil on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle parsley on top of each pepper (optional).
- Tip: Serve with a side salad for some extra volume while maintaining low carbs!